Dont we all love popcorn? We often view popcorn as a healthy substitute for unhealthy snacks. Most parents would rather buy popcorn than candies for their children to snack on. But is it really a healthier substitute? After all, its not like popcorn is made out of as many unpronounceable ingredients. Its just corn, right?
Popcorn contains a massive amount of chemicals. Just check out the 2013 Agri-Chemical Handbook on Popcorn.org
Why You Should Never Eat Microwave Popcorn
1. Most popcorn is not in its organic state. Commercial microwavable popcorn is not healthy. Its loaded with toxins that lead to many health issues including Alzheimers, lung disease and chronic kidney disease.
2. The lining of microwave popcorn bags causes immune system and liver damage. Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), found in the lining of the bag, is linked to many health problems, according to a recent study from UCLA.
3. Commercial popcorn is made with vegetable oils. Vegetable Oils are dangerous for your health as they get oxidized right away when they are subjected to heat. This leads to the creation of free radicals, which, as we know, contribute to premature aging and many diseases.
4. Most butter flavored microwave popcorn is made with toxic chemicals. This chemical, called diacetyl, is extremely toxic; it commonly damages the lungs of workers in microwave popcorn factories.
5. Most commercial popcorn is genetically modified. More than 85 percent of all corn grown in the United States is genetically modified (GM) for herbicide resistance and is sprayed with enormous quantities of toxic chemicals.
Good news, you dont have to give up popcorn completely. You can pop organic kernels the old-fashioned way, in a skillet. Just add grass fed butter and sea salt. Try making it with organic coconut oil. Or, you can use an air popper or a stove-top popcorn popper.